Saturday, June 22, 2013

San Jose Haul: Part 2 at Ulta

I have officially converted my soul into Ulta points for the first time today. I know full well that there is probably 3 Ulta stores in the greater San Diego area, but never found the time to explore it. Of course, tagging along with my cousins in their quest for red lip liner, I finally enlightened myself to its makeup haven. The store has both drugstore and high end cosmetics, hair care products, nail products, and skincare for anyone who doesn't want to make multiple trips to pick up what they need or pay too much for separate online shipping. What a great idea!

One thing I noticed, however, is the giant mess its employees were making on the shop floor and their organization during open hours that made searching for a certain shade/product a little awkward. "Excuse me, let me just grope you gently from behind as I reach for my favorite lip cream, I swear." I did notice that they had a nail station and several hair stations in store, making the store a convenient drop in location for the lazy (or busy, depending on how you look at it). Another disadvantage is how the point system is only converted into paltry cash savings. 100 points to get 3 dollars off a purchase? Really? I guess they really think that the cosmetically impaired need little incentive to buy makeup.

I was happy to find a few products both for myself and my mom, who has been looking for an eye brightening pencil liner but didn't want to splurge on MUFE or Stila. They carry NYX (a rare find outside of the online warp vortex) and also feature an Urban Decay stand where I found my next all encompassing cheek palette. By the way, does anyone know what NYX stand for? Naughty Yummy Xylophones? Never Young Xenophobes? What the hell?? I always pronounce it as "nicks" anyway, so maybe that's what this makeup is used to cover up. Heh. Their stand also had a BOGO 1/2 off deal and I couldn't resist.

Below are some quick pictures of my haul for the day. I love how my kitchen counter at home is so conducive to makeup photography.


2013-06-20 12.40.31 2013-06-20 12.40.41 2013-06-20 12.41.05 2013-06-20 12.40.06


First off, I picked up three NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams to round out my collection, as I wasn't interested in collecting the other shades (too light, too dark, too...weird). They are Sao Paolo (a darker rose mauve),  Istanbul (a soft milky pink), and Adis Ababa (hot pink fuchsia). All three are shades I've been wanting to buy but never found enough NYX products to accumulate into one shipping order. All are very on trend for the summer, complements my current coloring, and have lovely color payoff that doesn't slip and slide as easily as lipstick in the heat. They are a little more drying, but nothing a dab of lip balm can't fix. They also last for at least 5 hours and are mindlessly easy to touch up.


Second, I FINALLY found the Maybelline Vivids lipstick in Fuchsia Flash. Yes, it's my 4th or 5th fuchsia shade, I've lost all count with wild purposeful abandon. I never could find it in the SD Walmart and wanted to try the shade in a formulation that is almost perfect for a DS lipstick: creamy. long lasting, moisturizing, and bright. It really makes up for the swap I made for the Vivids Pink Pop shade, which is only flattering to Miami beach mothers with hideous leather skin and bleached blonde hair with yellow teeth. *Insert long wistful sigh here* I lost a MAC lipstick shade for that swap.


Third, I found an eye brightening pencil for my mom. This liner apparently also works as a spot concealer and reverse lipliner, making it a "wonder pencil." I hope it lives up to its job as an eyeliner by being creamy and soft on the waterline and decently long lasting. I could care less that nude liner can be used as such on the lips. And god forbid someone tries this on a zit and expect literal wonders. I'm thinking that an eye brightener will definitely open up her eyes and make them look less severe with eyeliner, as per her complaints. Her eyes are large and hooded, and she constantly asks me of ways to make them look smaller. I think the best way to enhance her eye shape, however, is to line only the upper lid with eyeliner and keep things as soft and natural as possible when it comes to eyeshadow.


Finally, I invested in the Urban Decay Naked Flushed Palette. I read a review on this by Temptalia saying it was a little lackluster, but upon first application and impression it seems to be a great set for me. The bronzer is pigmented without being severe, the highlighter is shimmery but subtle, and the blush easily flatters all tones. I'm not sure what her complaint was, maybe for its lack of universality. On me, however, it's a great go to palette that will simplify my routine from 3 separate, clunky, please-don't-drop-oh-you-just-did fragile, mirror-less compacts into one sleek design I can proudly display for its efficiency over anything else.


Overall, I had a good experience with Ulta, although I would've felt better leaving the store sooner. The cousins took ten years and a first born child bargain each to decide which red lip liner would go with their new found red lipsticks, whereas I told them to invest in one clear or natural shade lip liner to save time and effort. Alas, they each went with their own red liner and walked out of the store wondering if it was really a good match. Well, hate to say "I told you so..." but I so told you so.

What do you guys think about Ulta? Too expansive or just right? Is it like another version of Sephora for you, or do you prefer your drugstore and high end brands separate?

Enjoy the weekend! Being on vacation at home is stressful when I'm job hunting at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment