Wednesday, June 19, 2013

San Jose Haul

Sorry for the absence, I've been busy entertaining family and friends ever since my commencement ceremony on Saturday. Now that I'm back in the Bay Area, I've been constantly visiting the mall. No, I don't have a sickness. The reality is, the best thing to do in my hometown is shop and people watch at Santana Row and Valley Fair. This is why my cousins and I joke that our second home is Valley Fair and that we shower in the Bath and Body Works sink, which I doubt is possible at the moment, as the mall is undergoing massive renovations and store additions. Anyhoo, I managed to pick up quite a lot of things thanks to my graduation money without breaking the bank.

The first order of business was getting my weak and brittle nails....fixed. I stopped by the new kiosk in VF named Laka for a quick express manicure and picked up 5 new nail polish shades for the summer. They have the same gelly sheen as the Butter London shades for about a third of the price, and I figured that if I was to do my own nails at home, I better had some other colors besides pinks and nudes. (Notice how I still managed to stay in my comfort zone with the red and coral pink.) Plus, my old nail polishes are beginning to dry out and need an update. I'm still not a huge nail polish person, but it's useful to have some spring shades at my disposal.

Laka Nail Polish

Next, I picked up a new NARS Satin Lip Pencil, this time in Luxembourg. A hot watermelon pink, this shade has serious staying power and isn't as drying as its sister Yu. It's very bright, so a steady hand is needed when shading in your lips.

NARS Luxemborg

I also picked up another Brow Wiz pencil in Medium Ash. I was hesitant to try this shade as it seemed a little light and more appropriate for blonde or lighter brows, but it manages to come off as a perfect match for my black brow hairs. I tried to convince my mom to try it and ditch the boxy brown brows look (oh god...) but she is still insistent that it looks "too natural", as if there's such a thing.

2013-06-19 20.25.50 Anastasia Brow Wiz in Medium Ash

I also picked up more MUFE lipsticks, this time in 36 (Satin Fuchsia) and 42 (Satin bright tomato red). My cousin recently picked up the 42 for herself and I loved how well it showed up on camera. In person, it's a vibrant and cheerful red that's very appropriate for summer without crossing into harlot territory. On camera, it is more of a true classic red. And of course, you guys all know how much I've been lemming for the fuchsia shade but was never able to find it in stores in San Diego. Maybe NorCalites don't like lipstick. These were also a whole 2 dollars cheaper in store than in San Diego... How suspicious. Have I been overpaying for makeup ever since living in SoCal? Do people in SoCal go through lipstick at such an odious and desperate rate that they must raise prices to decrease demand?

MUFE 36 and 42   2013-06-19 20.21.48

Finally, I splurged on a new Michael Kors watch, the only gift for myself using my own graduation money. Sad, isn't it? I've decided that it's in my best interest to make good decisions like putting money into my savings account. It's a giant, oversized look in all gold that's extravagant to the point of tacky, but is a great contrast to my forearm tattoo. I originally wanted a Nixon 51-30 (like heyclaire's) but my bank account told me to calm my mammary glands down and be realistic. I also think that a watch is the best statement piece for armcandy that requires little thought or prior planning. This one definitely spruces up my plain jane outfits.

MK Watch

I'm planning to move back to San Jose now that I'm done with my undergrad education and find a well paying job that allows for my lipstick hoarding to continue. For now, I'll be busy scoping out housing and jobs in the Bay and hopefully head to some interviews before I head back to San Diego and pack up my things.

No comments:

Post a Comment