Friday, May 17, 2013

Collection: Powder Foundations

Hey all!
For the past two months my powder collection has been steadily growing while my liquid foundation pile remains stagnant. Why? Blame it on the heat and general summer attitude. I have plenty of time in the world during the summer to apply makeup, but I don't want anything sliding or melting off my face two hours into the sun.

While I do have some setting powders (all are drugstore), I have been hauling in new MAC powders as well as some from Sephora. I'll give you a brief rundown of the mid-range powder foundations I have in my collection right now.

Warning! This post is picture heavy! Continue below to see just how much of a hoarder I've become...


Hello Flawless PowderHello Flawless PowderPetal


Above is Benefit's Hello Flawless powder in "Petal."
Shade NC20-25

Pros:
- Very easy application with brush. Looks absolutely beautiful with a good moisturizer.
- Natural coverage or spot application. Very natural coverage.
- Yellow toned.

Cons:
- Price $35 for a very small amount in pan. Absolutely useless brush included for your convenience.
- Will kick up like any other powder. Be gentle!


MUFE Pro Finish128 Golden Sand


Above is Makeup Forever's Pro Finish in 127 "Golden Sand."
Shade NC30-NC35

Pros:
- Can be used wet or dry, wonderful color match for my Asian skin tone.
- Nice finish, okay oil control for my t-zone
- Finely milled.
- Includes compact and sponge in separate compartment.

Cons:
- May be expensive for some at $36 dollars.
- Case is not sturdy for jostling handbags and won't protect against errant hooligan knick-knacks in your bag. Powder can come loose.


MAC Studio Fix in C5 MAC Studio Fix


MAC's Studio Fix in C5.
Shade: NC40 equivalent, more yellow

Pros:
- Very long lasting and excellent oil control properties, enough to quell any evil thoughts from grease monkeys.
- Compact is iconic. Cult favorite product for many MAC users.
- Shade is very yellow toned in comparison to the orange-y NC shades (meaning if you are a special color, you can find your color match with studio fix.)

Cons:
- Cake face extraordinaire! Make sure you use a brush and spot conceal and not just apply this on wet unless you're trying out for King Lear.
- Powdery look, but can be solved with Fix+ and light application.
- Color still not right for me right now, but will be during the middle of summer.
- Some people have complained of breakouts. Wash your face correctly or check the ingredients for allergens.




Light PlusMediumMedium Plus


MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural in Light Plus, Medium, Medium Plus
Light Plus: NC20-NC25
Medium: NC/NW 25-30
Medium Plus: NC 30-NC 40
Here is my ultimate favorite HG powder. You know I like something when I hoard it in three shades "just in case" to encompass every seasonal change to my skin tone. Sad.

Pros:
- Can be used as powder foundation or setting powder depending on application.
- Beautiful luminous glow to the skin after a few hours of wear.
- Very long lasting for a powder. Doesn't transfer.
- Forgiving shade range due to sheer coverage.

Cons:
- Low to no oil control. Great for dry skinned gals in this respect.
- Awful shade range if you're very very yellow. (Light plus or Medium Dark are your only options and they can be too light or too dark for you.)
- Flashback. I generally avoid getting pictures taken, so this is not a problem for me.
- No mirror for touch-ups. Again, I do not touch up with this powder and use it mainly as a very natural powder foundation.


So, that is all of the powder foundations that I currently have and covet. I've done a lot of research on these powders and they all look very fantastic, require little time and effort, and last throughout the day. I actually manage to look like a "natural" beauty with these powders as they are not noticeably "make-up", powdery, or cakey on the face.

Let me know your experiences with powder foundations and whether you like powder or liquid!
-Be


No comments:

Post a Comment