Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Current Favorites: May

Hello again,
I'm here to talk about my current favorites! To see more, check out my YouTube video coming up within the week.1. MAC Impassioned: Amplified

You know that one lipstick that just catches your eye every time you visit the counter, but you never muster enough courage to swatch in fear of obligation to buy? I've been eyeing Impassioned every time I hit up the MAC counter, but only swatched other lipsticks nonchalantly while the assistant goes to the back and brings me back my powder. I'm glad I took the plunge and got it.

This pink is the best on trend bright color for the summer season right now. Why go with Impassioned when you can impress with Candy Yum Yum? This pink is bright without being tacky, a sort of grown up pink where you can keep on trend without scaring your coworkers. It reminds me of Maybelline Vivid's "Vivid Rose" without being too muted to come off as a grandma hue. I would say the colors are actually comparable but the drugstore version tends to bleed as it is too creamy. Impassioned is an Amplified creme that doesn't flake or bleed and well worth the extra money.
Below is a quick picture of the lipstick in its bullet.



2. MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus in C5

My skin color changes and adapts to the sunlight so quickly, it's almost as racial as affirmative action. In the winter, I can wear NC20 and comparable shades. After two days in the sun, I change to NC30. After two weeks of sunshine, I am now an NC42/C5. (I never skimp on sunscreen and wear Spf 30 and reapply sunscreen liberally as I hate sun damage.)

...My skin is telling me to buy more makeup. It's all justified people!

My skin is also getting oily in the T-zone and a powder will not highlight any flakes or dry skin as it's all been replaced by oily, greasy, melty skin...lucky me. So, I went to get matched with a new summer foundation. In the past I wore BareMinerals in Medium Beige but never liked how it caked around the nose. Now with liquid foundation being out of the question I've been on a new quest for powder foundation.

Studio Fix Powder is a medium to full (leaning full) coverage foundation depending on method of application. I use a fluffy powder brush and it gives a great natural finish to the skin sans tinted moisturizer. I wanted a more matte powder but didn't want a "made up" look. It will act as both a spot cover up and full face powder depending on whether you use a sponge or brush. However, I would suggest not to pack this on with a sponge unless your skin is very oily and blemished and you need full coverage.

I also love the shape and weight of the compact. I don't have to touch up when using this powder, so I leave this one on the vanity. Plus, who applies powder in public? (That's archaic and sexist, screams the granola feminist). It definitely is a pretty compact to show off if you do.

A lot of people may be sensitive to the ingredients, but my skin is resistant and accepts anything I put on it. People also claim clogged pores and cystic acne from this powder, but I suspect they don't wash their face correctly at night to remove the product. Any product going to bed with you is a naughty one.

Overall, the makeup artist matched me with C6 rather than NC42 (in fear of the carrot face look, which is never pretty). However, C6 was out of stock. I chose C5 to still match my tanned chest and also keep the possibility of bronzer open. So far I have not seen any signs of oxidation.

I have a list of current favorites that will be going on YouTube soon with some other products. I will also swatch Impassioned and my Studio Fix on the video. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment